Sunday 18 August 2013

4:50 to Pakenham

The woman walked down the length of the platform until she reached the middle door of the first train carriage. She boarded the train and took a seat in the empty compartment. A minute later, the doors slid shut and the train departed Flinders Street Station.  The train reached the next station in four minutes. A commuter opened the door of the carriage and saw the woman slumped over in her chair, her white jacket stained red with blood. The woman was dead.

---

“The victim’s name was Elizabeth Arbour, a 23 year old nursing student,” said Northrop as he consulted his notebook, “She worked part-time as a dispensing technician in a pharmacy in Armadale. She was taking the train to her evening shift when she was attacked.” Sherlock nodded with comprehension. The pair crossed the main concourse of Flinders Street Station, and made their way to the stationmaster’s office. Peak hour had now passed and the crowds had subsided considerably.
“I’d always wanted to be a train driver as a child,” reminisced Northrop as he knocked on the office door.
“But a life in law enforcement proved more alluring perhaps,” suggested Sherlock with a smile.
 The door opened, and the pair were greeted by a stern, military-looking man.
“Ah yes, the police. Roger Caulfield – stationmaster,” said the man authoritatively, “and this is Bernard Finn – the driver of the train where the incident occurred.” A small, haggard man gave a polite nod. “Please, take a seat.”

“Well, CCTV footage confirms it,” said the stationmaster, “The train came into the station at 4:45pm. The on-board passengers alighted. Only a handful of people boarded the train from 4:45 to 4:50. The victim was the last person to board, and the only person seen entering the first carriage. The train departed at 4:50pm exactly.”
“Do you usually have so few passengers on this train?” asked Northrop.
“It’s one of those in-between times; the after-school rush is over and the after-work rush has not yet started. It’s usually rather quiet. There tends to be more passengers boarding at Richmond.”
“Anything seem out of the ordinary?” asked Sherlock.
“Not at all,” said the stationmaster, “You notice anything, Bernard?”
“Well, no,” said the driver, “This is my usual route and it was just like any other.”
“Did you see the victim board the train?” asked Sherlock.
“I think I might have seen the girl – I noticed her white pharmacist jacket as she was walking up the platform. I have a side mirror where I can see the platform and make sure everybody’s got on the train. I can’t say I noticed anyone else in particular – there were maybe three or four other people who got on the train. I see so many people every day, you know.”
“Was the victim with anyone else?”
“Not that I could see.”
“And did you notice anything unusual on the train?”
“No – I was busy at the control deck. I usually can’t hear much coming from the carriages because of the noise of the train.”
“I don’t suppose there were any security cameras on the train?” asked Sherlock.
“No, this is an older model. There are no security cameras or intercom,” said the stationmaster.
“Let’s have a look at this train then,” suggested Sherlock.

The train had been relocated back to Flinders Street station, to an area of unused tracks reserved for servicing trains. Northrop led the way to the first carriage.
“Here’s the train carriage. Three sets of sliding doors on either side, and a door at either end. The door at the front end of the carriage leads to the driver’s cabin and is locked; the door at the rear permits access to the second carriage. If the sliding doors are forced open during travel, then the driver is alerted via an alarm. The windows were all shut when the train arrived at Richmond.

“Forensics have already been through here and removed the body. The body was found here,” indicated Northrop to a forward facing seat near the front of the carriage, “She was stabbed once in the chest, most likely with a knife. It seemed like she didn’t even have any time to react – there was a bloodstained copy of the mX in her hand indicating she may have been completing a crossword puzzle at the time of the murder. She also had a handbag with her – the contents had spilled all over the floor suggesting a robbery.”
“Was anything missing?” asked Sherlock.
Northrop consulted his notebook. “Not that we can tell. Her wallet and phone were still there, as well as a makeup kit, pens, scrap paper and a packet of gum.”
“Did nobody see or hear anything?” asked Sherlock.
“The other passengers are currently giving statements now. Let’s go ask them.”

The first to be questioned was Genevieve Huxley, a small, timid woman with short, blond hair. A turquoise pea coat was draped over her shoulders, partially concealing the white chef’s uniform she wore underneath.
“I can’t believe what happened to Elizabeth,” stuttered Genevieve, “Of all the trains. Of course, I haven’t seen her in years.”
“You knew the victim?” questioned Northrop.
“Well, yes. I knew her from back in school. We weren’t friends or anything; she was a bit of a bully to me. But that’s all in the past – I can’t believe this has happened.”
“Do you usually catch this train?” asked Sherlock.
“Yes, I’m a chef’s hand at a restaurant in the city and I was just catching the train home after my shift.”
“And did you notice anything unusual?”
“No, I’m afraid not. I boarded the train like normal. I was in the second carriage, seated towards the front, facing the opposite direction. I had my iPod in and was playing with my phone. I’m afraid I didn’t notice anything out of the ordinary.”

The next suspect questioned was Damien Chiu, a tall, athletic law student who appeared visually upset by the ordeal.
“Oh god, I can’t believe it. Poor Lizzie,” sighed the student.
“You knew the victim?” asked Northrop.
 “Yes, I knew her. She’s an ex-girlfriend of mine. We went out for a couple of years, but our relationship turned sour and we inevitably ended it a month ago. The break up was mutual, I can assure you.”
“Do you usually catch this train?”
“Yes. Lizzie and I used to catch this train together – she’d go to Armadale for work and I’d get off at Huntingdale to go to the law library at Monash. We took it like clockwork. But since the breakup, we obviously sit in separate carriages now.”
“And where exactly were you sitting?”
“In the second carriage, towards the back.”
“Did you notice anything unusual?”
“I’m afraid not. I was facing the front, but I had my earphones in and was watching a film on my iPad.”

The final suspect was Costa Di Pietro, a gaunt, middle aged banker with greying sideburns and thick rimmed glasses. “It’s a most ghastly business,” said Costa as he blotted his forehead with a stained handkerchief, “To think that poor girl was murdered in the carriage right next to us.”
“Did you notice anything?” asked Northrop.
“I’m afraid I can’t say I saw anything – I was too busy reading the Financial Review. I didn’t hear anything either, except the usual rumble of the train.”
“And where were you seated?”
“I was seated in the middle of the carriage, facing the front.”
“Do you usually catch this train?”
“Yes, I try to avoid peak hour. I catch it every afternoon to my home in Armadale.”
“And did you know the victim?” asked Northrop.
“No, not at all,” he replied.

“Murdered in an empty train carriage with not a single witnesss,” said Northrop as the pair left the station and walked out into the bustling Melbourne street scene, “And the killer disappears into thin air. I just don’t get it.”

“Ah yes, quite a clever case here, but not too clever for Sherlock Ho,” declared the inspector to his friend. 

From the author:
Guys! My third mini mystery. Hopefully it makes sense! The title is a homage to Christie's 4:50 from Paddington. Ask for clues and interrogate the suspects! Happy sleuthing!
PS - I know that a train would have more than four passengers at 4:50pm on a weekday, but I had to keep it at 4:50 for the title, and didn't want to complicate it with too many suspects :P

62 comments:

  1. Was the activity of the three passengers confirmed by the other passengers in the carriage? Did they notice any other passengers on the train?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tough one! Homage to Agatha Christie too!
    So the door between carriage 1, where the victim was and carriage 2 can be opened but would alert the driver? And the door wasn't opened during the fateful trip?
    The way the three passengers in carriage 2 were sitting, each should be able to see at least another person. Did anyone notice anyone else moving from their seats?

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Xin:
    It is the sliding doors on either side of the train that will trigger the alarm when opened. The connecting door between carriages 1 and 2 can be opened without alerting the driver.

    @Simon and Xin:
    The three passengers say they were too absorbed in their respective activities (i.e. using phone/watching film/reading), to notice their surroundings. They cannot confirm whether the other passengers moved during the trip.

    However, upon further questioning, Costa Di Pietro states that he may have heard the connecting door at the front of the carriage open. However, he cannot confirm this as it may have just been the rumbling of the train.

    Damien Chiu also admits that he moved from the right side of the train to the left as the sun was bothering him.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What film was Damien watching on his ipad?

    ReplyDelete
  5. What caused the relationship between Damien and Lizzie to go sour?

    Is there anything else that could be missing from Lizzie's bag (e.g. set of keys). Perhaps Damien could confirm the usual contents of Lizzie's bags?

    Also, do the detectives notice any specks of blood on any of the suspects?

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Simon
    Damien:
    "I think it's rather irrelevant what film I was watching. But if you must know, I was watching 'Strangers on a Train'.

    @Katrina
    Damien:
    "I suppose we started to drift apart. I became busy with uni and we argued a lot. I found out she cheated on me with an old boyfriend. We ended the relationship, but I still had feelings for her though."

    Damien:
    "Yes, you're right. It looks like her keys are missing. I'm not sure what else is missing."

    Sherlock:
    "I did notice some drops of dried blood on Genevieve's chef whites. Upon questioning, she states she cut herself in the kitchen today. Her second finger on the left hand has a band aid on it.

    "I also noticed that Costa's handkerchief was stained with blood when he wiped his forehead. He states that it was due to a blood nose he had earlier in the day."

    ReplyDelete
  7. What kind of keys were they for?

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Simon
    Damien:
    "She had a key ring with several keys on it. They would have included keys to her house (security door, front door and garage), locker at uni and locker at work."

    ReplyDelete
  9. What did Lizzie used to bully Genevieve about? It seems a bit strange that Genevieve takes this particular train all the time, but never saw Lizzie though she took it like clockwork (according to Damien).

    Did Costa know Lizzie or ever speak to her?

    ReplyDelete
  10. @Katrina
    Genevieve:
    "Liz used to bully me about being a lesbian. I actually had a bit of crush on her in high school. But when she found out, she and her friends made fun of me. It really upset me. I became pretty depressed and at one stage was almost suicidal. But I sought help and I'm ok now.

    "I do catch this train, but I only started catching it recently after I got the job in the city - so it's only been a few weeks. I guess I haven't bumped into her. I usually sit in one of the carriages at the end."

    Costa:
    "No, I do not know this girl. I've never spoken to her."

    Costa is handed a photo of Elizabeth to inspect.
    "Actually...she looks familiar. Oh yes, I think I may have seen her working in the local pharmacy."

    ReplyDelete
  11. Damien:
    "I just realised what else was missing from Lizzie's bag - her staff ID card for the pharmacy she works at."

    ReplyDelete
  12. Does Damien know what elizabeth keeps in her locker at her workkplace? What does the staff ID card give access to?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Also, what relationship does Costa have to the pharmacy?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Has Costa always looked gaunt? Does he (or anyone else) have bloodshot eyes or unusual pupils (e.g. contracted or dilated pupils)?

    ReplyDelete
  15. @Katrina
    Costa:
    "I've always been a rather slim fellow, which I owe to my Italian heritage. I have been rather stressed at work lately, hence the bags under my eyes."

    Northrop:
    "Genevieve's eyes appear a little red and watery - she claims it's because she's been crying after hearing about the victim.

    "Damien's eyes appear to look normal, though he looked a bit stressed."

    Sherlock:
    "I noticed that Bernard (the train driver) looked rather tired and worn out. His pupils appeared rather pinpoint and fixed, even in the dimness of the stationmaster's office."


    ReplyDelete
  16. @Simon
    Damien:
    "I'm not too sure what Elizabeth kept in her locker at work. I'm assuming she would put her bag and jacket in there. I don't think she stored any valuables in there."

    "To my knowledge, the staff ID card is purely for ID purposes, and is used to 'clock on and off' to keep track of her hours. I don't think it gives access to anything."

    Costa:
    "My family get our prescriptions dispensed at this pharmacy - I usually go around once a month."

    ReplyDelete
  17. Any idea what type of knife was used?

    ReplyDelete
  18. @Xin
    Northrop:
    "We just received a call from forensics; the murder weapon's been identified. A small, paring knife - the blade covered in the victim's blood - was found on the railway tracks between Flinder's Street and Richmond stations. The knife handle did not contain any fingerprints."

    ReplyDelete
  19. that would point to Genevieve - as a chef in training she would be the most likely to carry a paring knife. She was sitting in the front of the carriage, meaning that it's more likely that she could sneak into the first carriage unseen as she didn't have to pass the others on her way.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Sherlock:
    "An interesting hypothesis, Inspector Xin. Yes, Genevieve does seem to have the means and a motive. But then there is the question of the missing keys and ID card. Why would she steal them?"

    ReplyDelete
  21. Does Bernard know Genevieve or seen her before?

    ReplyDelete
  22. @Katrina
    Both Bernard and Genevieve deny knowing one another.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Does Genevieve admit to having possession of the knife? Is driver taking drugs of some sort which explains why his eyes are fixed and pinpointed even in the dim office (i.e. cholinergic drugs only obtainable from a pharmacy)?

    ReplyDelete
  24. @Simon
    Genevieve:
    "I deny owning that knife! My knives are a different brand and make. That knife could belong to anyone - paring knives are quite versatile and useful for small, intricate work such as peeling fruit and vegetables."

    Northrop:
    "Bernard denied taking drugs, but he seemed extremely hesitant and irritable in his responses. We had one of the police physicians examine him and do a tox screen. It came back positive for opioids."

    ReplyDelete
  25. well, obviously Bernard's the murderer.

    Being able to see everyone and anyone who enters which carriages, Bernard took that advantage to kill Elizabeth at the right time. Probably the 1 minute before the train departed. He's admitted to being able to recognize her based on her pharmacy jacket.
    He had planned to take elizabeth's staff ID card, thinking that he could use to have access to the pharmacy after hours and steal a whole bunch of drugs from the pharmacy she works at. Not realizing that she is in fact only a student and that she does not have that accessibility with her keys and card.

    Costa mentioned the connecting doors opening. That was either the train rumbling or Bernard opening the doors to check on everyone who was in the second carriage.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Oops, haha I meant does Bernard know Elizabeth. Getting confused with these characters.

    I guess it seems likely that Bernard is the killer for the reasons mentioned by Simon. Plus, he knows that this train has no security cameras (being an old train and all). Though, he would have had to either kill her before the train left, or after it got to the station. I wonder if the train stopped before reaching the next station?

    ReplyDelete
  27. @Katrina
    Bernard denies knowing Elizabeth.

    @Simon and Katrina

    Sherlock:
    "Inspectors Simon and Katrina have reached some rather interesting conclusions. Yes, it does appear that Bernard has some clear motives for killing Elizabeth - wishing to gain access to the pharmacy where she worked so he could satiate his drug cravings.

    However, would he really have had enough time to murder Elizabeth, rifle through her bag, clean the finger prints off the murder weapon and dispose of it, all in the one minute before the train had to depart? Not to mention the risk of somebody boarding the train in that time. Or the secturity cameras from the platform capturing what was happening whilst the train was at the platform.

    We know that the train did not stop unexpectedly before reaching the next station - there was no time, the train arrived within the expected four minutes. Thus, the victim was most likely murdered whilst the train was in motion.

    So is Bernard really the guilty party? And if so, how could he have murdered the victim whilst the train was in motion if he was driving it?"

    ReplyDelete
  28. Costa and Bernard both deny knowing one another

    ReplyDelete
  29. "Costa Di Pietro states that he may have heard the connecting door at the front of the carriage open" Can Costa recall when this happened during the train ride?

    And what's up with the blood nose? Is he sick or something? Healthy people don't just get blood noses...

    ReplyDelete
  30. @Simon
    Costa:
    "Like I said, I think I may have heard the door open but I'm really not sure. It may have just been the sound of the train - the ride was a bit bumpy. I really can't say when it happened.

    "I tend to get blood noses when I'm stressed - especially because I have high blood pressure. I had a blood nose earlier today."

    ReplyDelete
  31. What medications does Costa get dispensed at Elizabeth's pharmacy? I believe this information can be disclosed being a crime investigation.

    ReplyDelete
  32. @Simon
    Costa:
    "I just get my regular blood pressure medicine dispensed (Perindopril). My daughter uses asthma inhalers too (Seretide and Ventolin)."

    This is confirmed by the pharmacy dispensing records.

    ReplyDelete
  33. What is Costa's blood pressure currently?

    ReplyDelete
  34. @Simon
    Costa:
    "I fail to see what my blood pressure has to do with anything. My latest reading from a few days ago was normal."

    ReplyDelete
  35. Don't question the detective. What were the readings?

    ReplyDelete
  36. They say your systolic blood pressure should be 100 + your age. So it seems like Costa's blood pressure is quite well controlled. Thus, I do not recommend any changes to his blood pressure medications.

    ReplyDelete
  37. @Simon
    Sherlock:
    "WTF? This is a murder mystery not a medscheck..."

    ReplyDelete
  38. Would Costa's blood pressure be escalating considering he claimed to be stressed and getting blood noses etc?

    We can use this pocket blood pressure monitor that I'm carrying with me to measure his current blood pressure.

    ReplyDelete
  39. Does anyone have a history of drug addiction or is in debt? It's possible that the person who killed Elizabeth is doing so because they need their fix, or they are in so much debt that they are planning to rob a pharmacy and sell the drugs.

    ReplyDelete
  40. @Katrina:

    As was confirmed by the police physician, elevated levels of opioids were found in Bernard's blood, indicating he was on excessive doses and maybe be addicted.

    Damien admits that he is struggling financially, given he needs to fund his own studies (he missed out on a government supported place and was ineligible for financial assistance). He is, however, supplementing his income with extra shifts as a bartender and tutor.

    ReplyDelete
  41. Does Damien know Bernard?

    Also, do the connecting doors between carriage 1 and 2 go directly from one carriage to another, or is there a small platform that needs to be crossed to get from one carriage to another?

    ReplyDelete
  42. @Katrina:

    Damien and Bernard deny knowing one another.

    There is a small platform between the carriages.

    ReplyDelete
  43. Damien is the murderer. He killed her cause he can't stand being around her. He stole the keys and staff ID card so he could rob the pharmacy then sell it all on the black market to resolve his financial issues. From his position in the carriage he could see what everyone was doing while the train was in motion to get to the next carriage. case closed

    ReplyDelete
  44. @Simon

    Sherlock:
    "Such strong accusations, Inspector Simon! But didn't Damien know that the key ring did not contain keys to the pharmacy? And that the staff ID card would not provide access either? Thus, it would be pointless for him to steal these. How do you explain that?"

    ReplyDelete
  45. Just because he's the ex-boyfriend, we can't assume he knows that stuff. But, I guess we can rule him out now

    ReplyDelete
  46. Maybe it is Costa? Perhaps he used his handkerchief to hold onto the knife to stab Elizabeth to prevent his fingerprints from getting onto the knife. Then, as he walked from carriage 1 to carriage 2, he chucked the knife and walked back into carriage 2. He only says he thinks he heard the door open to divert suspicion away from himself.

    Not sure about motive though. Perhaps he has a sick family member and the medication they need costs too much. Does he have a medicare card? If not, that Seretide could be a bit costly on a private prescription.

    ReplyDelete
  47. It would be quite risky for anyone of the three suspects in carriage 2 to go through the connecting door with any assurance of not being noticed by another passenger even though they were preoccupied.
    I think it's the driver. He knows that there are no cameras, he knows that there was only the victim in the first carriage. He's an addict and knows she's a pharmacist. Because the victim was sitting near the front, the driver could have opened the driver's door as soon as the train starts to move, checked she was alone and went over and stab her, grab her bag and go back to the driver's cabin. This will only take a few seconds. Then he can find what he wants and chuck the handbag back, scattering contents all over the floor.

    ReplyDelete
  48. Adding to what Xin said, if the driver has a window in his control room, he could have thrown the knife out.

    ReplyDelete
  49. Northrop:
    "Why, yes, I see it all clearly now. Wow, Inspector Xin and Katrina have made a most compelling case! Surely Bernard must be the culprit -"

    Stationmaster:
    "However, there appears to be a slight problem with their hypothesis.

    There is a 'dead man's switch' which is linked to the train's controller pedal (akin to the accelerator pedal of a car). This means that if pressure is not mainatined on the pedal for any amount of time whilst the train is in motion, the train's emergency brakes kick in automatically. The rationale behind this device is to prevent the train from moving if the driver becomes incapaciated (such as through death or loss of consciousness).

    Northrop:
    "So, you mean the driver would need to have their foot on the pedal the whole time the train is in operation?"

    Stationmaster:
    "Precisely."

    Northop:
    "Sigh, it looks like we're back to square one."

    ReplyDelete
  50. Can we just do a search of Bernard and his drivers room to see if the keys and ID card are there?

    He could have still killed her before the train started moving. He could have stabbed her when the doors were closing or just closed, grabbed her bag and started driving the train. He could be rummaging around in Elizabeth's bag whilst he drives the train. Then when he gets to the station and the train stops, he chucks the bag back and opens the train doors.

    ReplyDelete
  51. I think the dead man's switch can be easily overcome with a weight, which can also act as his alibi. But that would suggest premeditation. However, if the girl takes the train everyday like clockwork as suggested by her ex, then perhaps this is a case of premeditated murder.

    ReplyDelete
  52. Northrop:
    "We did a search of Bernard and all three passengers and did not find the keys of ID card.

    "We then searched the driver's cabin which consisted of: the control deck; a small cupboard, inside of which was Bernard's backpack (which contained only a newspaper and pen), a paper safety manual and a signalling flag; a small waste receptacle (mounted to the wall and which contained a ball of cling wrap, a take-away coffee cup, and a apple core and ribbon of peel); and a small fire-extinguisher mounted to the wall and looked like it had not been moved in months.

    "There was nothing heavy enough to weigh down the dead man's pedal.

    "The passengers recall that the train started moving as soon as the doors closed at Flinders Street, and that there was no delay in the doors opening at the next station."

    ReplyDelete
  53. Aha! he must've used a knife to peel the apple. Having not found it in the cabin, he must've used it to commit the murder and then chucked it out of the train!

    ReplyDelete
  54. and he could have used the cling rap to hold the knife and avoid fingerprints.

    ReplyDelete
  55. Was there something in Bernard's backpack which he may have thrown out with the knife? Does Bernard usually carry a backpack with him to work?

    Honestly, who carries only a newspaper and pen in their backpack?

    ReplyDelete
  56. @Xin

    Sherlock:
    "Excellent work, Inspector Xin! It does appear that Bernard had access to a knife to commit the murder, and a clever way to conceal his fingerprints by the use of the cling wrap. In fact - the cling wrap has just been confirmed by forensics to contain specks of the victim's blood."

    Northrop:
    "But how did Bernard murder Elizabeth and still operate the train?"

    Sherlock:
    "Ah, a good question - perhaps our inspectors can enlighten us?"

    @Katrina
    Northrop:
    "The police scanned the railway tracks and nearby areas, but found nothing else incriminating. Bernard also denies carrying anything else in his backpack (some people don't carry much stuff - sheesh)."

    ReplyDelete
  57. Northrop:
    "It's most baffling - how could the dead man's pedal be depressed without a weight? It doesn't make sense."

    Sherlock:
    "Hmm, yes. It reminds me of a case that happened 10 years ago - the Waterfall rail accident in New South Wales. The drivers of the train were partaking in some behaviours that may very well give us the answer we seek."

    ReplyDelete
  58. It was so obvious from the beginning that the signalling flag was wedged in a way to depress the pedal to defeat the deadman's pedal.

    ReplyDelete
  59. Sherlock:
    "Well done, Inspector Simon! Your googling skills are exemplary! I believe we now have a reasonable case against Bernard, and can arrest him on suspicion of murder. Well done to everyone - the complete solution will be posted shortly!

    ReplyDelete